Europe 2005

Saturday, August 27, 2005

OK ..... fourth weekend in Netherlands ...... Delft



OK, I survived the fourth week in Netherlands. And this weekend, I went to Delft, a lovely historical town, just 2km from Rijswijk, Den Haag (where I work). Err .... what happend to the other weekends? I will put it up in good time .... :-D

This is a quiet historical town with its town square is surrounded by canal ...... err ...... seem like a lot of town in Netherlands is surrounded by canal. Anyway, Delft is famous for its Delftware - the delicate blue and white ceramics to which the town gave its name in the seventeenth century (this is from The Rough Guide to Europe 2005).

Delft is a quiet town compare to Armsterdam or Rotterdam, which is much modern city. Like, I said is a quite town. Most part of the Delft had been destroyed in fire which happend in 1536 (a lightning strike the Nieuwe Kerk), and one more in 1654 (explosion at the army gunpowder storage). Most part of the Delft town was rebuilt, or restored to its original stage.

Beside being a historic city, Delft is very much lively and atmospheric place. There is many bars, cafes, restaurants, and cosy hotels and abundance of shops.

I don't really go to church, but I went to 2 churches today in Delft - the new church - Nieuwe Kerk and the old church - Oude Kerk. Both of these churches still held Sunday service every Sunday, but I went on Saturday.

Here is the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church):

And here is the Oude Kerk (Old Chuch):

Google

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home